Monday, September 30, 2013
At the moment I'm knitting a pullover for Franklin out of the leftovers from my crocheted blanket; it's got grizzly bears and snowflakes. And it's taking me ages! Also in the works is yet another coat for him: a hooded coat with a quilted wool lining. It's actually nearly finished, but I have two custom orders to fulfil for my etsy shop; as soon as they're shipped, I'll sew the lining to the shell and it'll be done.
Still getting tomatoes and runner beans pretty much every day, though I think the beans'll be over soon. I had one tiny pumpkin, but someone (with feathers, I suspect) broke it off the vine. It was only about golf ball sized, so I wasn't too heartbroken. My cabbages are also forming nice heads, and they escaped most of the caterpillar damage this year, thanks in part to my polyculture planting. Because they weren't planted together in straight rows, but rather scattered about amongst everything, both vegetable and ornamental, the butterflies had a hard time finding them. In previous years, caterpillars have completely defoliated whole plants. This year, damage was strictly limited to molluscs. One of the chickens caught a cabbage white butterfly earlier in the year; I cheered her on.
Saturday, September 14, 2013
how to join the squares as I went along, so it only took about two weeks to make; I think the last granny square afghan I crocheted took me about six months! I made it for Franklin's bed, but he says he doesn't want it so it's on mine instead; it measures approximately 5'x6.5' and is made from 100% wool.
Franklin's still very attached to me, but has been gaining independence lately. He's been asking for more snuggles though--to make up for it, I think. He's a big boy at 3 and a half, and getting bigger every day. I miss him for those three hours! But he enjoys it, and I know it's good for him.