Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I had the quietest haircut of my life last week. I figured it was about time I got rid of the split ends and stopped into a cheapie salon in town for a quick trim. The only words the hairdresser said to me were: "how much do you want off?" and "that's £5.50." Maybe I exaggerate slightly, but there was absolutely no small talk involved whatsoever. Personally I don't find it easy to make small talk with strangers. But really. You don't go in for a haircut, you go in for a forced chat about your personal life. I feel gypped.

I was only relieved of about two inches of hair. On the whole it is much neater and not so ragged. I think I will have to get another inch off in a few months, to annihilate the next generation of split ends before they take over. I read in the style section of the newspaper that the best way to be stylish is to have a good haircut. It didn't actually say what constitutes a good haircut. So I can't tell if I'm stylish or not.

Now at the advanced age of 27, I have ventured into the strange realm of skincare. In my past, skincare has been random and sporadic. Maybe a dab of sunscreen in the summer, a tube of face wash once in a great while, application of makeup rarely though amateurishly. But now I contemplate my age and my future. I am on the downhill slide of youth and soon I will be climbing the hill of middle age. Obviously I have a few more years of the youthy slidey bit, but I can see that hill a'coming. And so I have bought a few skincare products. One is a moisturizer which slightly intimidates me. Along with the usual "light, non-greasy" spiel, it claims to reveal younger looking skin upon use. When I bought it, I kind of just looked at the front label for a 15 SPF and it was really the first to hand. I also bought an exfoliating facial wash, which upon closer examination claims the same as the moisturizer. I can't believe I'm so old that I need beauty tonics for my face to make me look younger. I can't believe I'm so old that I need to look younger.

No comments: