Sunday, May 30, 2010

Losing weight, in the garden, with visitors

At last all my seedlings are in the ground (hooray!). Except the tomatoes (boo...). Against my better judgment, I again allowed Partner to persuade me to grow a few. This year I think we have five plants. He has promised to plant them himself. Somehow, taking care of a baby takes up all my time; I can only snatch five or ten minutes of gardening time a day. Meaning my seedlings have languished on the patio for the last two or three weeks, waiting for brief window of spare time. Pictured here are my runner beans and bamboo canes for their support, at the site of the old shed.

Flowers I'm growing (from seed, that is--I have a lot more perennials):
  • nicotiana
  • dahlias
  • zinnias
  • cosmos
Vegetables I'm growing:
  • potatoes (early and maincrop)
  • cabbage
  • carrots
  • celeriac
  • beets
  • rainbow chard
  • zuccini
  • tomatoes
  • beans (runner and broad)
  • broccoli
Since Franklin was born I have been actively trying to lose my pregnancy weight. A vigorous walk nearly every day, and I'm slowly working it off. I gained about 30 pounds by the end of my pregnancy, and last I weighed myself (a few weeks ago) I had lost 15 pounds. My maternity jeans are now a bit big on my hips and I can fit into at least one pair of my old slacks.

My sister and her friend are visiting us, but being teenagers, they come across as moody and unsociable. They've been here several days now, but don't make an appearance till after noon, and want to spend their days holed up with the computer. I think I'll have to be a bit more creative about tearing them away from the lures of facebook.

As it is, we'll be going to London for a few days this week. My last time in London, I was with a cousin and had a brilliant time getting completely lost every day. I can only hope these two are as congenial about not knowing where we're going.

1 comment:

Gilbrides said...

It's amazing how much time babies take up! Wow, you have a lot of vegetables I'm so impressed with your garden! I can't wait to see pictures of your flowers. Those are all such beautiful flowers!

PS. I am halfway through planting my garden. I will plant the second half in another two weeks. This way I don't have to harvest it all at the same time :) Learned that the hard way from last year. This year our garden consists of: Corn, tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, spinish, lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, and peas. Then my herb garden has Chives, basil, cilantro, oregano, parsley, and spearmint. Then I have a fruit garden with Rhubarb, raspberries, watermelon, and cantelope. I am still hoping to get some grapes and 2 fruit trees. Keeping my fingers crossed on those. :)