Sunday, January 15, 2012

Garlic, daffs, bread, birthday

My garlic grows so tall! It's nice to see something growing out there, for a change. However, as far as winters go, this one's pretty mild compared to the last two. No snow yet, and only a few hard frosts.
In fact, it's so mild I even have a daffodil flowering. I took its photo last week and it's now opened fully.
I go through phases of breadmaking. This month I've made it nearly every day. Partner and I bought a small, round cast-iron casserole dish which makes a fantastic crusty loaf. Partner made the first loaf in it; the contrast amazed me. I hope my next loaf compares to his.

Partner's birthday this week. We're spending it in London with his parents. Even though I had planned on gifting them and other London family with some Christmas baking, it seems so long since Christmas I just don't feel like making the effort. After all, they're all probably on New Year's diets now, and sick of the sight of Christmassy foods. I am.

1 comment:

Gilbrides said...

I hope he had a very happy Birthday! I am amazed at the mild winter weather we've had as well. It feels a little weird not shoveling snow, or being able to go sledding. Thankfully, there's still plenty of time for snow. I do hope we get a good snow. :)