Friday, April 24, 2009

I don't think I've really done the weeds justice in my previous posts, so I thought I'd do a little segment dedicated to them. First off, my weapons in the fight against weed domination:
  • gloves, leather;
  • bucket, plastic;
  • pillow, sturdy;
  • fork, handheld.
It doesn't seem like much, but it's all I have, and it does the job.

Next, the enemy contrasted with the victory; in the enemy photo, all plants pictured are either a) tulips, or b) weeds. Hint: the tulips are yellow streaked with red. In the victory photo, the two plants pictured are daffodils (finished flowering) and campanula (not yet flowering). Oh, and a tiny smidgeon of fuschia (also not yet flowering).


Next,view these two photos, both taken of my new (planted last spring) asparagus bed. This bed was weeded fully about six weeks ago. Emerging aspargus spears have been highlighted. The rest: weeds. Oh, and part of a cinder block, for some reason. I can't really explain it.


Now I would like to direct your attention to my cabbage and broad bean bed. This bed backs our garage wall and faces directly south. It's perfect for vegetables because it gets full sun and is well sheltered from the wind. It is also, however, extremely attractive to weeds, as the next two photos show. This bed was weeded one week ago. Those few bits of slate amongst the cabbages are my cutting edge high-tech slug traps. Slugs cannot resist crawling under a nice, cool, shady bit of slate during the day; and I cannot resist smushing them when I turn over the slate.

Since I first began my campaign in earnest three weeks ago, the casualties have been fierce. My goal has been a bucket full of weeds pulled up every day. Since my bucket holds about two gallons, it would seem that the war ought to be over by now, but my shock and awe tactics have so far not demoralized the enemy; they still fight back with as much vigor and strength as when I first fired the opening shots. When I capture occupied territories, the enemy reinvades; I begin to think this war will never end, yet I must continue to fight, until either they or I are decimated.

No comments: