Friday, May 15, 2009

Once again, for your viewing pleasure, here is a self-portrait. It is raining and I am in my garden. Incidently, I am also in my pajamas. Since it is my day off, I had hoped to do some major gardening. Alas, this is not to be. So I took a few photos instead. Our garage roof leaks in two places, and we have buckets strategically placed to catch the water. When I went out this morning, both were overflowing from the rain we had last night. I changed them both for fresh buckets (rain water comes in handy so we like to save it--maybe we should get a water barrel) and one of the buckets holds about 6 or 7 gallons. And I might add, it wasn't raining when I went to bed last night. This reflection of me is from the garage window, in case it is hard to tell what those things are in the foreground. They are various man-objects that are mysteriously attracted to garages, and like light in black holes, cannot escape. I try not to spend much time in the garage, lest I too become trapped for eternity. Partner and I have had several conversations along the lines of: P, frustrated, "Where's my screwdrivers? I can't find a screwdriver!" G, impatiently (trying to pay attention to the computer screen in order to blog), "Garage." P, one hour later, "I'm going to the hardware store; I'll be back later." G, upon P's return, "You bought a screwdriver, didn't you?" P, walking off quickly, hiding something behind his back, "None of your business."



I did pull out a few weeds while I was wandering about with my umbrella and camera. I took a photo of my last lonely tulip, and one of the cabbages. I'm beginning to think I planted them a bit too close together. Partner promised me that he was getting some free cabbage seeds in the mail from the BBC, so my gardening goal to plant more cabbage has been on hold until they arrived. Which they did, two days ago. But they weren't cabbage. So now I don't know if I should buy some seeds or just not bother. (I did plant most of the seeds that arrived, however: lettuce, beets, and squash).

I moved my geranium pots out of the cold frame today and onto the patio. And watered the runner beans still in the cold frame (with rain water, of course). That's pretty much it for my gardening plans for today, unless there's a major change in the weather.

No comments: