Friday, September 01, 2006

Suspension

I've been thinking about higher education but it kind of makes me nervous. I've done a little research into costs of universities around here, and there's like a set amount that every student has to pay, regardless. So I've been racking my brains trying to think of a job I could get for about a year that pays a lot in order to save up for next year's classes. Partner suggested signing up at a temp agency and doing office temp work. The only experience I have with temp agencies is through one of my friends who got jobs doing housekeeping by them. Now I would do housekeeping myself except I think it wouldn't pay any better than the job I currently have. The job I currently have pays £5.60 an hour. And I think the exchange rate is about $1.90 per pound, so that's 5.6 x 1.9 = $10.64. Wow I just did that sum and I didn't realize it was that much myself. But still it's only a part time job and it's only 35p more than the minimum wage here. And I don't think I can do a kitchen job full time because of my back, yet I do need a full time job. Partner says I can do office temp work since I can type and navigate a computer. But getting a new job makes me even more nervous. However, I need the money so I guess I should try.

September already...I'm hoping for a sunnier month. There were dead leaves on the pavement in London when we were there last weekend. I saw a flock of ducks flying, but not in formation; they had just been frightened out of a pond. At least, I think that's what they were doing and not migrating. Our dahlias are now almost all flowering, since they are a late summer/autumn plant. They're the last of the flowers to open, but most of the summer flowers are still going pretty strong. And we have ripe tomatoes every day now.

No comments: