Saturday, July 11, 2009

Passionflower streamers and garden spirits

What, one may ask, is this jungle in my garden? The bright red flowers belong to poppies. Slotted in below them are broccoli, and behind them both are tomatoes. And squeezed in behind the tomatoes are my runner beans, climbing up some netting. All in a bed that is perhaps five feet by three feet. I had to stack them in as tightly as possible, as I kind of ran out of room before I ran out of plants.


I also really liked these little tendrils on the passionflower vine. They are just like little party streamers glistening in the sun (click on the picture for the full-sized view).


It's been a long week of mostly work-related activities. Today (my day off) I woke up at five and couldn't get back to sleep, so up I got. Then at seven, Partner still firmly and unequivocally snoring, I went out with the dog. The silence was beautiful. There was no noise of traffic, of barking dogs, of people shouting (people shout a lot here). Even the birds were quiet. By eight, as we were walking back, however, the usual village sounds were in full swing. So I went and woke Partner up and we went grocery shopping and came back with Eggs Benedict ingredients. Which we then proceeded to make. 7000 calories later, I feel like it should be siesta time.

This week's bouquet on my windowsill is of lilies, hydrangea, verbena, and laurel leaves. The first flush of flowers has now mostly gone over for my roses, lupins, and sweet peas. The sweet peas are still flowering, but on shorter stems now, and you can now actually tell the plants have leaves.

I discovered what Partner says is a garden spirit while weeding, so he took a picture of it before it ran off. I think it hopped into the lavender immediately afterwards.

1 comment:

Gilbrides said...

What a cute garden spirit! You have an amazing garden! I am so glad that you have so many beautiful sights and smells surrounding you!