Friday, March 17, 2006

The hamster wheel

I've spent the past two days doing absolutely what I want to do. I've been relishing the fact that I'm my own boss for the next week and a half. I want to do all kinds of creative things. But first I want to clean my house. I haven't been doing regular housework in months. Just about all that gets cleaned is the toilet and the kitchen. I change the sheets on our bed occasionally. Not much else. I just haven't had time for it. I mean, if I'm working all day from eleven thirty in the morning to nine at night, when I get home I don't want to be lugging a vacuum cleaner all around the house. I need to take a shower, sit down, unwind. Then when I'm unwound it's midnight and time for bed. Not a good cycle to be in.

I'm also catching up on some sleep. I haven't been sleeping well the past few months. I kept having dreams that I would go to work and something so stressful would happen that I'd just walk out. And then I would wake up and realize I actually had to go back to work. Like even in my sleep I couldn't get away from work.

It was a nice get-together the other night, however. They all showed up except for one, but I guess that's ok. Everyone said good luck and the managers told me I could have my job back if things didn't work out. I said thank you very graciously. We left at nearly midnight in the firm knowledge that I NEVER HAVE TO GO BACK. Dear God, that is such a wonderful feeling.

Ok enough moaning. On to the future. I'm going to clean my house.

No comments: